Safety and liability issues are a great concern among commercial concrete construction companies. Unfortunately, common concrete issues such as settled or heaved concrete contribute to many safety issues. Thankfully, a professional concrete contractor Columbia has solutions for most common concrete issues. We will break down as many of these potential commercial concrete issues and possible action plans in case they arise.
What is Concrete and Its Uses in Commercial Construction?
Concrete is the construction material you most likely find in most commercial project sites around you. It consists of coarse aggregates, water, cement, and fine gravel mixed in standardized ratios to ensure the strength and durability of the concrete. It hardens and solidifies to bind other building materials. Concrete is used in construction or concrete services such as:
- Driveways and patios
- Sidewalks and long-lasting parking lots
- Residential buildings
- Footings and foundations
- Civil engineering structures
- Architectural constructions such as dams and bridges
- Concrete retaining walls
- High rise and mid rise commercial buildings.
Common Commercial Concrete Issues and Solutions
However, improper concreting, harsh weather conditions, and poor maintenance can result in concrete problems. The most common concrete issues include the following:
- Cracks: Small or big cracks in concrete pose security risks in properties. Crack mostly start at the surface and advance to the bottom of the slab. A professional concrete contractor Columbia understands the different types of concrete cracks to know the appropriate solutions. For example, they can fix small cracks by removing loose material from the affected area and filling them with concrete filler. However, cracks that affect the subgrade may require concrete structure replacement.
- Crazing: Improper concrete mixing can result in a network of tiny cracks that can impact structural stability and aesthetic value. A quality installation process helps concrete contractors prevent crazing. Instead of sealers that can make crazing visible, contractors use epoxy to cover the unavoidable cracks.
- Discoloration: Material exposure and unfavorable weather conditions can cause concrete discoloration. Experienced concrete contractors in Columbia use concrete stains or cleaner to restore the concrete’s aesthetic value.
- Curling: A moisture and temperature difference between the top and bottom surface can cause concrete curling. Contractors use the correct curling technique and enough steel reinforcement to prevent curling.
Hire the Best Concrete Contractor in Columbia For Your Commercial Project
Although concrete is a reliable construction material, common concrete issues such as scaling can pose security risks. As a result, contractors should perform routine inspections and respond at the first sign of concrete issues. Contact J&A Services for a reliable concrete contractor Columbia will perform concrete repairs after identifying common concrete issues that can decrease the concrete structure’s value and strength.